Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's Been A While

I am finally getting around to writing after a few days of being MIA. Well, I haven't been MIA in real life, I've actually been around in real life, I've been MIA on the internet world.

I drove up to Danville on Wednesday morning with Josh, his girlfriend Bridget and his brother Drew. It was cramped in the backseat and the drive took about eight hours, that is a really long time to get from LA to the Bay.

When I got in my dad and I went to my favorite place, the Philly Cheesesteak Shop and ate. It took forever, but it was still good. That night I went out to "That Bar" downtown, where they had dueling pianos and drove Josh and Bridget. There were a ton of people from my high school there and just like in high school, I didn't really talk to any of them. I just stayed with Josh and later my friends Mike, Jon, Neva and Andrea came. It was great catching up with them, not even really catching up, but just shooting the shit and joking around like we used to. We almost went to a bar called Meenar's until they had a cover, so we switched it up to Elliot's a bar that's been there for over a hundred years. Mike and his girlfriend ordered "Hot Toddys", which to the bartender meant whiskey and hot water. So nasty.

The next day our family got together and headed over to Burlingame. It was nice this year, I've already caught up with all my relatives recently, so I didn't get grilled at all, just enjoyed myself with my cousins. On the ride over my dad finally asked me about Kim, wondering if I had worked things out with her, I told him, "No" was the short answer to that question.

At Thanksgiving we spent most of the time playing card games, watching football and eating. It was pretty perfect. We headed back around eight and I spent the rest of the night dozing at my dad's and watching an Arrested Development marathon.

Yesterday, I hung out with my dad during the day. We went to see "J. Edgar", which turned out to be a decent flick. I wasn't super excited about seeing it, but it was good to spend time with my dad, took him back since he was alive for a lot of the events that happened in the movie.

Afterward, I went and picked up Jen and we went down to the tree lighting. Danville has a tree that is the symbol of the town and every Friday after Thanksgiving they have a big celebration with choirs and cider to light it up, then they close off the road downtown so people can hang out and shop. We ran into a bunch of friends that I wanted to see this time and it was a blast.

Last year, I was at the tree lighting with Kate and it was incredibly cold. This year it wasn't nearly as bad.

Jen was ready to go home around nine, so I brought her back and went over to my brother's to grab some books that Chris Paizis sent to me and hang out with him for a bit. We ended up going to Jack's, where he worked and had some beers, which was a deal.

At the end of the night, in the back of the parking lot at Jack's, he went out to smoke with his friends. I took one puff, which was the first time I had smoked pot since I was in the hospital three months ago. I was glad I did, but I don't plan on doing it again any time soon. I realized that when I smoked, I became a lot more talkative, I had a great political conversation with my brother's conservative friend, Rob. Then when I left, I drove home by myself and I started to cry. All the emotions I have been feeling about Kim and coming home finally came out.

It scared me that I haven't been able to cry in months and started tearing up after smoking, but it was interesting to me that it made me emotional like that, I was really not expecting that and it felt good to finally let lose with the tears. I was happy that it was all around a good experience for me and I'd like to keep it that way and quit while I'm ahead.

Today, a friend of mine was having a service for his mom that passed away. I wrote him a note, sympathizing with his experience. I was really happy I was able to go pay my respects. I picked Jen up and she just signed the lease to an apartment with Kim. I reminded her, at the current moment, I won't be able to go over there. She didn't want to talk about her anytime I tried to bring it up. It was really disappointing, since it was obviously on the top of my mind. I am really anxious about them moving in together.

I am going to call Chris when he gets back and talk to him about it, since Jen seems to be putting up a wall there, I don't know why it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment