Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fork in the Road

So a lot has changed since Thursday of last week, when I got into a fight with my boss and left the office in the middle of the day and drove to Zuma and walked down the beach and tried to figure out what the hell I was going to do.

On Thursday my boss emailed me a long list of criticisms that he had never addressed before and they took me by complete surprise. Couple that with the fact that I was running back and forth across town stressing out about getting this DVD. The email really upset me and I wasn't really sure how to address it. I dropped his DVD off and told him I needed to take the rest of the day off, which of course, he said was "unacceptable". Everything to him is either a "disaster" or "unacceptable".

For the first time in months I disregarded my emails and just drove up the coast to be alone. Zuma was very empty, except for a few older couples walking around. It felt so good to have my bare feet walking on the wet sand and then down into the cold water of the Pacific. I walked up and then back down the beach over about an hour. Then I tried to lay down on my beach towel, but it was a bit too cold, so I left and went home.

I responded to my boss' email as straightforward and thoroughly as possible. I didn't want to incite him, but I also wanted to stick up for myself on the points where I felt like he was totally off base, I don't even want to get into the specifics, it makes me stressed just thinking about it and in the end, it doesn't even matter.

I don't work for Stan Brooks anymore. This is probably the last time I will write his name. I don't even like looking at it. I tried really hard to come into work with positive energy, but he sucked it all out of me. You know when everyone else that works on the project is telling you that you are doing a great job and your boss is being a dick that you aren't all in the wrong. When his accountant tells you, "I know how he is, you can vent to me," you can assume, the guy is a dick.

So the truth about Stan? His old company, Once Upon A Time, went bankrupt and he was sued because he didn't pay a lot of the people on the last project he did. His old assistant quit and left Los Angeles because of the stress from the job and because she was sick of "Hollywood types", aka, Stan.

On my first free day I went to Venice Beach and bought some cheap sunglasses and went and read my book about Nichola Tesla in the library. What an amazing guy. It is very safe to say, the modern world would not exist without him, or at least it would have been delayed a great many years. Many of the things he foresaw, worldwide wireless communication and wireless transmission of power are only now being realized, over a hundred years later. He believed he was going to achieve them in his lifetime, if only he could have found the financing.

Over the weekend, I got to do a lot of improv. I started my advanced study class and there are a lot of great, really fun people. My favorite exercise was when we did a montage as CEOs. We had no trouble taking it to the extreme. After that I went and hung out with Josh at his place and then with Jace and Justin. I felt kind of bad because I interrupted their smoking session. I know Jace will probably never smoke want to smoke with me again. I can't blame him. He saw me at my worst on the way to the hospital and in emergency. Anyway, I was there for a bit then went back to the Palisades.

My dad and uncle and aunt have all been really supportive. Their argument being he made a mistake in hiring the wrong person and you need to find a job that is right for you. That being said they are already on me about getting a recommendation from Stan, which I don't think is a good idea. I really want to give this internship I just landed a 100% go and see what happens.

Earlier this week I emailed American Work, Scot Armstrong's production company I was supposed to start working for before I went to work at Stan & Deliver. Jesus, I am so happy I will never have to correct someone, "Stan and Deliver" "Stand and Deliver?" "No, Stan and Deliver." Again. I can't wait to start this internship. They are helping produce the new NBC sitcom BFF and have been involved in a lot of great movies, Old School, Hangover, etc.

The tough thing is now I will have to be over on the other side of town Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. Yipes.

Yes, on Sunday I also started a new practice group. It was a little stifled in our first practice, which I guess can be expected, but we have a lot to do before our first show at March Madness in a couple weeks. I have no doubt Sticky Nights would have had a much better show, but for whatever reason, maybe not having a coach? We didn't get in.

So, that is where I'm at. I am feeling really relieved and really good about my new direction. There is a lot of comedy and improv ahead in my life. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of money in the immediate future, but I am set up so that if I work hard I should be able to land a job that I like sooner or later. Just about keeping my aunt and uncle at bay until then.

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment